Pages

31 Mar 2016

Trials and Tribulations of a Single Girl

Recently my friend tagged me in a comical post called '15 Things All Single Girls Are Completely Tired Of Hearing. ' Though I laughed at it and agreed with the basis of the post, it got me thinking about certain things.

Brace yourself...slightly wordy rant coming ahead



It got me thinking about the pressure people who are single are put through, and even put on themselves, and how we seem to be labelled and judged because of our relationship status or lack thereof. We're constantly asked if we're seeing someone, condemned for being too picky and generally judged for remaining single. 
I will always sing along to 'all by myself'
But what I can't figure out is why?
Why does everyone seem to want everybody to be paired up? To avoid feeling lonely? Is it so difficult for people to understand that people can be happy on there own?
If you're single, great. If you're in a relationship, that's also great. What isn't great is judging the other for not conforming to the same values that you consider every one needs to fulfil.
I recently read a post about the idea of settling down and how everyone's idea is different, and it really struck a cord.
Everyone's idea of what they need to be happy is different and I believe that everyone should be respect that.
And for that to happen, people need to stop making a big deal of being single. It happens, so what. There are more important things in the world to worry about.

There is nothing wrong with being single and people need to start believing that. I've started to and it really eases the pressure that I force upon myself. I'm going to start embracing my singledom and I think everyone else should too.
So the next time you meet up with your single friend, please don't bring it up unless they do. We are totally okay.








No comments:

Post a Comment